Tuesday, February 14, 2012

FILM TRICK


Femi (real name withheld) was unarguably one of the most spiritual brothers I had around me when I was in school. Yet he was one of the trickiest. I remember he often brag that he was not one of the stupid Christians on campus and I doubt if he was. My friend knew he did not know how to woo a girl. So he thought of an idea that will make him not to look odd: he selected some of the prettiest girls around and lavished (even his pocket) money on them. Sometimes he may not even have food to eat but these girls enjoy all they want whenever they were around him. Whenever the ladies gel, and they start to give sign that it’s high time Femi ask their hand in a relationship, Femi would withdraw!

I often get mad at him for the wastage and lack of resolve to woo them properly, but he claimed to be enjoying it that way. I bet he did! You know the funny things about girls na; when they see you have been with the prettiest and happening girls on campus they would want to be your friend too. Lol. They didn’t even know my friend did not know how to woo, yet many of them became his friend. Some even felt bad and they showed it when Femi withdrew at the point of asking them out: they thought they were not good enough... But I knew all my friend did was like film trick. And it worked on some guys too: they saw him as one of the most happening guys on campus and wanted to be his friend, but they didn’t know he only suffered himself to do that so he could feel among and cover his inadequacy.

The Bible says, Wisdom is the main thing; get wisdom; and with all your getting get understanding.” (Proverbs 4:7). I bet you Femi knew what he was doing. He even escaped the snare of fornication despite the massive number of pretty girls that flocked around him, not only because he didn’t know how to woo but much more because he didn’t want to mess himself up. If he had remained alone he might probably have been mocked till he gives in… You know what? I know the kinds of friends that surrounded him. His approach to the game of this peer pressure actually thought me how to play along challenging situations without giving in: when this kind of situation comes and you felt you will be more vulnerable to external influence, just play along like you are a pro but never forget who you are.

There is however a caveat here, if you know your strength cannot carry the temptation don’t dare play along lest you get drowned.

Valentine is here again, and doubt me if you want, more hymen will be broken than most other days. Truth is many who fall into this trap only did it because they wanted to feel among. Same thing goes for other issues like peer pressure, reckless spending, womanizing, drunkenness. Why don’t you take a clue from my friend? Play along, but don’t get drown! Touch not, taste not, handle not; which things are all for corruption in the using, according to the commands and doctrines of men.” Colossians 2:21-22.

1 comment: